Yoga has become a serious career option today as millions of people across the world are taking up this profession as their full-time job.
And if you are also looking forward to making a successful career in yoga, it’s time you enrol in a certified Yoga Alliance school.
But there are several questions that usually linger in the minds of those who wish to take yoga as their career such as which course to take to commence the yoga journey or where should you enrol for quality teaching.
Well, worry not! If you wish to become a certified yoga teacher,
it is recommended to enrol for a 200 hour yoga TTC in Rishikesh or Kerala as these places are known all around the world for their world-class yoga schools. Here, you will be guided by professionals and world-renowned gurus. But what after you are done with 200-hour yoga teacher training?
Once you have completed this course, you will be eligible to become RYT 200. And what is RYT 200? Let’s delve deep into the terminology and understand its importance in the yoga world, and a lot more.
What is RYT 200?
RYT stands for registered yoga teacher and hence, RYT 200, in simple terms, is used for a registered yoga teacher who has completed his/her 200-hour yoga teacher training course and has been certified by a registered yoga school (RYS) affiliated with Yoga Alliance.
It is one of the significant certification levels in yoga and is of great importance. Once you have completed this course and have got the certification,
you are eligible to teach yoga at a yoga school, studio, gym, hospital, and other such places. The certification can only be obtained as per Yoga Alliance standards.
What Are RYT 200 Teaching Inclusions?
Once you have enrolled in a registered yoga school in Rishikesh for your 200-hour yoga teacher training,
you will go through some serious training sessions by experienced yoga teachers and gurus.
Your curriculum would include all the basics of yoga, ranging from yoga anatomy to yoga philosophy and meditation techniques to yoga asanas. You will also study several texts on yoga and its history including Bhagavad Gita, Yoga Sutras by Patanjali, etc.
In general, your 200 hour yoga TTC in Rishikesh would be divided into several categories based on the hours given to different subjects.
- On average 75 hours will be given to yoga techniques and practical training sessions
- wherein you will study different yoga asanas and their sequencing, pranayama ranging from Ujjayi to Kapalbhati,
- and meditation methods including chanting of mantras, and mudras.
- Approximately 30 hours will be dedicated to learning anatomy and physiology wherein the focus will be on the skeletal system (bones, joints, and more), nervous system, respiratory system, and biomechanics
- The next 30 hours will be spent on learning yoga humanities wherein you will study the history and philosophy of yoga and ethics & disciplines
- The remaining 50 hours you will spend learning teaching methodologies, professional development, code of conduct, Yoga Alliance organisation, etc.
Is RYT 200 Important to Teach Yoga?
Well, there are certain aspects to it to understand whether you have to be an RYT 200 to be eligible to teach yoga.
It is because there is no set rule to become a yoga teacher as it is quite possible to get hired in a school, yoga studio, or any other such place as a yoga teacher without having done any specific course or degree in yoga.
However, most of these schools and studios require only those who have at least completed their 200 hour yoga teacher training course.
This way they can ensure that the teacher being hired is excelled in his field and is capable of teaching students.
Only when you have done your 200-hour yoga teacher training course, will you have an in-depth understanding of yoga, its history, yogic lifestyle, anatomy, physiology, and more.
Hence, it can be easily said that if you wish to teach yoga and become successful, then you must be an RYT 200 at least.
Benefits of Being an RYT
There are several benefits of being a registered yoga teacher and some of the prominent ones are listed below:
- You can easily get hired as a yoga teacher in a well-reputed yoga school, studio, gym, hospital, etc.
- as completing the course would be like getting your bachelor’s degree
- You will have a successful career ahead as completing your 200 hour course will deepen your yoga practice and help you build interest
- It will change your perspectives and would bring positive influences into your life
- You will earn more respect in the eyes of yoga practitioners than the teachers who have not completed their 200 hour yoga course
- You will be eligible to enrol for other yoga certifications and become RYT 500 and RYT 300 after completing your 500 hour and 300 hour yoga teacher training in Rishikesh, Kerala, etc. respectively
Other Levels of Yoga Alliance Certification
These are the subsequent levels of yoga certifications and correspond to master degrees wherein you intensify your yoga practice and learn in detail about the yogic world.
Like RYT 200, RYT 300 is the term used for those registered yoga teachers who have completed their 300 hour yoga teacher training course and have hands-on experience in practising and teaching yoga for quite some time.
The last and final level of Yoga Alliance certification is 500-hour yoga TTC. Once you have completed this advanced level of training and have deepened your practice to the extreme level, you will be eligible to register as an RYT 500.
How Much Does it Cost to Become an RYT 200?
In India, to become an RYT 200, you will need to spend an average of 38K INR on your 200-hour yoga teacher training course in Rishikesh, Kerala, and other such places if you are an Indian resident. And if you are a foreigner, you will need to spend an average of 1200 USD per person.